Monday, September 26, 2011

Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches

I'm a big proponent of freezing cooked chicken and beef. It's always so great to have on hand for a quick and easy dinner like this one. The chicken I used for these was leftover from a rotisserie chicken I bought at the grocery. I like to buy those when they're on sale, even if I'm not sure how I'll use it. The meat is great in soups, casseroles, quesadillas and much more. I think I used half of that rotisserie chicken to make chicken tacos the day I bought it. Then, I just shredded up the rest of the chicken and stuck it in the freezer, taking it out later to make these sandwiches. This recipe is loosely based on one from Rachael Ray's 365 No Repeats.



Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients
  • 1 heaping cup of cooked, shredded chicken
  • 1/4 of a medium-sized onion
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I like Cattleman's sauce)
  • 1/2 a beer (that leaves half for the cook!)
  • 2 TBSP ketchup or chili sauce
  • 2 TBSP yellow mustard
  • 1 tsp Sriacha
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 sandwich rolls or hamburger buns
  • pickles, jalapenos and onions for toppings
Prep
  1. Peel and chop your onion and peel and finely chop your garlic.
  2. Chop your jalapenos and pickles and slice a little more of your onion for the toppings.
  3. Toast or warm your sandwich rolls.
Cook
  1. Heat 1 TBSP of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
  2. After the oil heats for a couple of minutes, add your onion, then your garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes.
  3. Add your chicken, along with about 1 tsp each of salt and pepper. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add your half a beer and 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and let the liquid bubble.
  5. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes or so, then add your 2 TBSP ketchup or chili sauce, 2 TBSP yellow mustard and 1 tsp Sriacha.
  6. Cook mixture for another 10 minutes, until sauce is thickened and chicken is very tender. Serve on warm sandwich rolls with onions, pickles and jalapenos.

No comments:

Post a Comment