Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Roasted Brussels Sprouts


I never ate brussels sprouts growing up. Turns out my mom doesn't like them so she never made them for us. I think that never being forced to eat them as a kid made me want to try them again as an adult and that's a good thing. I love them if they're cooked the right way and Chris even likes them too. This method is based on one from Simply Recipes. I think this recipe might even make my Mom a brussels sprouts convert. Hope you enjoy as much as we do!



Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients
  • 1/2 lb to 3/4 lb of brussels sprouts - I always pick out the smallest ones I can find
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • juice of 1/2 a lemon
  • kosher salt and pepper
  • 2-3 TBSP parmesan cheese
Prep
  1. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 350°
  2. Peel and finely chop your garlic.
  3. Rinse your brussels sprouts and trim the bottoms off of them, cutting the larger ones in half from top to bottom. Some of the outer leaves will fall off as you do this but that's okay - just lay them all out on a foil-lined baking sheet.
  4. Add your 1 TBSP of olive oil, squeeze of 1/2 a lemon, chopped garlic, pepper and a generous amount of kosher salt (1/2 a tsp or so) to the brussels sprouts. Toss it all together to coat.
Cook
  1. Bake for 20 minutes or so, then remove the pan and use a spatula to toss the brussels sprouts again.
  2. Bake for 10 more minutes, then remove the pan and grate 2-3 TBSP of parmesan cheese over the sprouts.
  3. Put back in the oven for 5 minutes or until the sprouts are nicely browned and you're ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment