Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Roasted Okra

Okra can be slimy depending on how it's cooked. This doesn't bother me too much because I love okra no matter how it's cooked. For those that don't like the slime though, you can either fry it or you can roast it. You don't see roasted okra a lot and I think it may be because it's not very pretty. I tried it a while back based on a Southern Living recipe I saw and despite it's wimpy appearance, I really loved it. It gets crispy around the edges and the slime totally dries up. I like to think of these as okra french fries so maybe you could even try them with a toddler. I served this batch with chicken tenders and tomato sauce and cheese grits. Hope you enjoy!



Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of fresh okra
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt and 1 tsp pepper
Prep
  1. Preheat your oven or toaster oven to 400°
  2. Trim the tops off your okra and slice them lengthwise. If you have any smaller pods, you can leave them whole.
  3. On a foil-lined baking sheet, toss your sliced okra with 1 TBSP olive oil, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper.
Cook
  1. Roast in your preheated oven for 10 minutes or so, then toss with a spatula.
  2. Stick back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes until the edges are crisp.

No comments:

Post a Comment