Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Chicken Fajita Quesadillas


I always try to make extras when I do fajitas or even my Mexican chicken sandwiches so we can have quesadillas later in the week. The grilled onions and peppers really make these great. I realize you may not need a "recipe" for quesadillas but since I posted my Mexican chicken sandwiches, I thought it might be helpful to have an idea for the leftovers. I think I can take credit for this "recipe".


Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2-4 - we had leftovers

Ingredients
  • 1 leftover chicken breast
  • 1 cup or so of leftover grilled onions and peppers (or chop and saute some fresh)
  • 1 1/2 cups of grated monterey jack and/or cheddar cheese
  • 6 large (burrito size) flour tortillas
  • butter
Prep
  1. Chop up your chicken breast and your onions and peppers. I didn't chop my veggies for the one you see in the pics but I think it would be better if you do so you can avoid the hot onion sliding out of the quesadilla onto your face.
  2. Grate your cheese.
  3. If you're making more than one quesadilla, heat your oven or toaster oven to 200 to keep them warm as you cook.
Cook
  1. Set a large, nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
  2. Lay out your first tortilla on a plate and top with about 3 TBSP cheese.
  3. Top the cheese with chicken and some veggies, then top off with about 2 more TBSP of cheese. This pic doesn't show the second dose of cheese, but it's important to keep the quesadilla glued together.
  4. Add about 2 tsp of butter to the pan and let melt for a few seconds.
  5. Slide your topped tortilla onto the pan and move it around a little to spread out and soak up the butter.
  6. Top with another tortilla and spread a couple of tsp of butter to the top of that one too.
  7. Cook on the first side for 4 minutes or so, and flip when it's nicely browned.
  8. Finish on the other side for another 4 minutes or so.
  9. When both sides are sufficiently browned, either cut with a sharp knife and serve or set in the warm oven until ready to serve.
  10. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings. Serve with your favorite toppings like salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

No comments:

Post a Comment